Rodney J. MacAlister
- International Oil and Gas Upstream (Europe, Middle East, Africa)
- Business Development, Strategy, Tactics and Negotiations
- High-Threat, Sanctioned, Post-Conflict and Developing Nation Business Operations and Economic Development
- Business Process and Team Engineering and Innovation
- Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and Health/Safety/Environment (HSE)
- Government Relations, PR and Strategic Communications
- Conservation, Environment, NGOs
- Fluent in French
Mr. MacAlister supports clients working in international and multinational business, primarily in upstream oil, gas and energy, with expertise in doing business in high-threat, conflict and post-conflict areas and developing nations. He specializes in supporting clients to sustained success in projects requiring working with and across diverse groups and industries, including international oil and gas, U.S. and foreign governments, security, global development, and human rights and environmental NGOs. Mr. MacAlister is deeply experienced in facilitating Track II diplomacy and public and private advocacy, while promoting health, safety, ethics and FCPA compliance.
As head of The Spectrum Group’s Cape Town, South Africa office, Mr. MacAlister delivers more than 35 years of international business development experience. He previously served as General Manager of VAALCO Energy in Gabon, supporting production of 10% of the country’s daily oil output as part of the only U.S. company producing there, and simultaneously served as Chairman of the American Business Association of Gabon. Mr. MacAlister also founded and served as a fund manager for the Africa Middle Market Fund, and is a past President of the U.S. African Development Foundation. He worked in diverse international executive, business development and country management roles during a 25-year career at ConocoPhillips.
A fluent French speaker, Mr. MacAlister has successfully supported client business in diverse conflict and post-conflict zones, including Iran, Iraq, Libya, Syria, Angola, Congo, Nigeria, Liberia, Rwanda, Burundi and Uganda. He is skilled in finding non-obvious synergies to support client business, and has high tolerance for ambiguity and frustration in challenging environments. Outside of his with at The Spectrum Group, Mr. MacAlister supports conservation and protecting threatened species, and built Africa’s largest ape sanctuary (Jane Goodall’s “Tchimpounga”).
- Vice President, Government Affairs (1994-2003) and Country Manager, Congo (1991-1994), ConocoPhillips
- General Manager, VAALCO Gabon (Etame)
- Founder and Managing Director, The Africa Middle Market Fund
- President, U.S. African Development Foundation
- CEO, Monetizing Gas Africa, Inc.
- M.A., Political Economy, University of Redlands
- B.A., International Relations, University of Redlands