Michael Penders, Esq.
- Business Management and Process Optimization
- Lean Six Sigma Black Belt
- Risk Management and Mitigation
- ISO 27001 Cyber Security
- Homeland Security
- Healthcare Networks
- Emergency and Disaster Mitigation, Planning and Response
- Security Operations and Building Partner Capacity
Michael Penders supports clients as a cyber security and integrated security management subject matter expert, auditor, and implementation professional.
Prior to joining The Spectrum Group, Mr. Penders chaired the international group of experts that developed the standard for integrated security management systems. He is a certified lead auditor, implementer and instructor for ISO 27001:2013, supporting clients in implementing best practices in information security management systems, enterprise risk management systems, and sustainable security solutions.
Mr. Penders also leads security and risk assessments at critical infrastructure facilities in the public and private sectors, and investigates security incidents and compliance issues. He designs QMS and compliance programs meeting legal and client requirements and international standards (NIST 800, FISMA, HIPAA, and ISO 28000, 31000, 29100, 14000, and 9000).
He previously served as Director of Legal Counsel in the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Office of Criminal Enforcement. Mr. Penders also served as Chairman of the G8 Nations’ International Organized Crime Project, and as Chair of the American Bar Association Homeland Security Committee, Section of Environment, Energy and Natural Resources (SEER). He lectures and speaks at universities, conferences and public policy forums.
- Member, Section of Environment, Energy and Resources (SEER), Homeland Security Committee, American Bar Association
- Director of Legal Counsel, Office of Criminal Enforcement, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- J.D., Law, Seton Hall University School of Law
- B.A., History, Government and Law, Cornell University